Dandruff is one of the common problems that many of us experience in our lives. It is not a harmless condition and it occurs when the skin on the scalp becomes dry. Dandruff produces white flakes of dead skin either on the hair or may fall off on your shoulders. Though it is harmless, it can be embarrassing.
If your dandruff is mild, it can be easily treated with shampoo. If your dandruff is severe, you should consider visiting a dermatologist.
What Causes Dandruff?
There are several causes for dandruff such as the following:
- Dry scalp: Dry scalp is the main reason for dandruff. It can even be more severe during the winter season due to low humidity. The low humidity affects your skin and it makes your skin drier.
- Improper hygiene: If you do not maintain good hair and good hygiene for your scalp, it can lead to dandruff. If you do not wash your hair and scalp on a regular basis, oil and dirt get accumulated on your scalp and can lead to dandruff.
- Skin problems: If you have any skin problems such as seborrheic, it can cause dandruff. Seborrheic can cause inflammation on your scalp.
- Malassezia Globosa: Malassezia Globosa is a fungus that survives on oil on your scalp. Every one of us has this fungus on our scalp. When the microbiome on the scalp is not in balance, Malassezia levels increase and it leads to dandruff. Malassezia fungus can also cause itching on your scalp.
- Stress: Too much stress can affect your immune system and can even let Malassezia grow and can cause dandruff. There are several ways through which you can control your stress such as meditation, exercise, proper sleep etc.
- Hormonal imbalances: Health issues such as PCOD and PCOS can cause medical imbalances which further lead to dandruff.
The treatment for dandruff is based on the cause of it and hence it is important to know different causes of dandruff.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Dandruff
The various signs of dandruff include:
- White flakes on hair, shoulders, and eyebrows
- Itching and irritation in your scalp
- Scaly scalp
- Dry scalp
If your dandruff is caused due to stress, dandruff can even become worse. If you are getting irritated with dandruff, there are several ways to get rid of it and you do not need to worry.
Treatment for Dandruff
Dandruff can be treated easily by following home remedies and by following certain measures. In most cases, it can be treated by using over-the-counter medications and anti-dandruff shampoos. If the dandruff is mild, it can be treated by regularly cleaning your scalp with shampoo. If it does not work, a medical shampoo can be helpful.
If dandruff still persists even after taking proper care, then it may indicate serious scalp problems such as psoriasis and a dermatologist can help you with this.
IRA Radiance Skin and Hair Clinic have been helping people suffering from dandruff for several years and you can count on us. We have a team of qualified dermatologists who can suggest the right treatment for you. Do not delay and visit us right away to get a solution for your problem.