Scar Revision Treatment in Hyderabad
A scar revision is a procedure used on scars to reduce the appearance of scars. Apart from changing the appearance of scars, scar revision treatment also corrects skin changes that are caused by an injury, wound, or surgery. Scars are formed as a result of your skin healing from an injury, wound, or surgery. The extent of scarring is based on age, region, and the depth of the wound.
Each scar is different and there is no particular time for undergoing scar revision treatment. As the scars age, they will become lighter in colour and you can undergo surgery as they start getting lighter.
Different Types of Scars
The procedure used for treating scars is based on the type of scars. Hence, it is important to know about different types of scars such as:
- Keloid scars: Keloid scars grow at the area of the wound and they are thick, rounded, itchy, and painful. These scars generally occur near fatty tissues such as the face, neck, ears, etc. Keloid scars are in a red or darker colour than the skin colour.
- Hypertrophic scars: These are similar to keloid scars, but they are thick and elevated. They also develop on the location of the wound and they are uncomfortable. They can either be darker or lighter in colour. Hypertrophic scars usually get wider over time.
- Contractures: Contractures occur when a large tissue of skin get damaged such as a burn, and they result in scarring. Contractures make the movement difficult as they pull the skin edges together. Different treatment options are available for treating contractures.
- Surface irregularities or discolouration: This type of scar can be reduced using different treatments. These scars do not affect physical appearance and functioning. Examples include acne scars, scars due to surgical incisions, and minor injuries.
Different Treatment Options for Scars
Based on the type of scars; your surgeon will determine the right and effective treatment to reduce your scars. The skin revision treatment restores the form and functioning based on the severity of scars. The different treatment options are as follows:
- Steroids: Steroids are used for treating keloids and hypertrophic scars. The skin’s collagen at the area of the wound is broken down by applying steroids on the wound. Steroids are also effective at preventing the pain and discomfort caused by scars.
- Silicone gel sheets: Silicone gel sheets are also effective at flattening the keloid and hypertrophic scars. These sheets are placed on the scar and you need to wear them throughout your day.
- Z-Plasty: This technique is used for re-orienting scars. The skin around the scar is cut down in triangular flaps in a z-shape. Hence, it is called the z-plasty technique. The flaps are then reassembled to cover the wound. The new scars will be less visible. It can also help reduce pressure caused by contracture scars.
- Dermabrasion: This method removes the top layers of the skin for smoothening the scars and deep lines. It can be done along with other cosmetic surgeries or can be performed alone. It is a good choice for people who have fair skin.
- Vascular laser: Vascular laser reduces red scars by reducing the blood vessels that support scars. The treatment does not require any anesthesia and the procedure is not painful.
- Tissue expansion: In this procedure, the surgeon inserts a balloon under healthy skin beside the scar. For stretching the skin, the balloon is then filled with a saline solution. The scar is removed and is then replaced with the stretched skin from the balloon. It is then carefully closed.
- Skin grafting: Skin grafting is used after removing the skin tissue. During the procedure, the skin from a healthy part is taken and is replaced on the injured area. The grafted skin may or may not match with the actual colour of the skin. Skin grafts are effective at restoring the functioning of the severely scarred region.
- Laser skin resurfacing: CO2 lasers and erbium lasers can be used for reducing scars. CO2 lasers are used for treating deeper scars where as erbium scars are used for deeper skin tones. Laser skin resurfacing focuses on generating new skin by removing the top layers of the skin.
- Collagen injections: Collagen injections work by filling the scars. The results of collagen injections are not permanent as the collagen will be observed by the body.
Before deciding on a treatment solution, you should consider visiting a skin care specialist to determine which solution makes wonders for you.
Dr Nikhil Reddy and Dr Raghu Ram Reddy are specialized and experienced in performing scar revision procedures in Hyderabad. They perform a careful evaluation of your scars in their clinic, the IRA Radiance Skin and Hair Clinic before performing a scar revision treatment. Schedule a consultation with one of our doctors to discuss your problem.