Vitiligo Treatment in Hyderabad
Vitiligo is a skin disorder that causes the discolouring of patches of skin. These dark patches occur due to the loss of melanocytes in the skin. This condition can affect the appearance of people especially in people with dark skin. It can occur on the skin in any body part and can even occur in hair and mouth. If this condition occurs in the region where you have hair, the hair also turns to white colour.
People of any age group and gender can get affected by this condition. Though this condition is not life-threatening, it can make people frustrated and may lose confidence in themselves. Hence, it is important to consider treating vitiligo condition. The treatment for vitiligo focuses on bringing back the colour in the affected regions.
What Causes Vitiligo?
Vitiligo is an auto-immune disorder where the body’s immune system attacks the skin cells that produce melanin. Apart from this, the possible causes of vitiligo include:
- If your family have a history of vitiligo, you are most likely to develop this condition
- Release of substance by nerves that is toxic to melanin
- Any defects in the melanocytes can make them destroy themselves
- Stress, sunburn and skin trauma
Common Signs of Vitiligo
The common signs and symptoms of vitiligo are as follows:
- Patches of skin lose colour and it is mostly seen on hands, and face
- Patches of hair on the scalp, eyebrows, eyelashes turn prematurely to grey or white
- Tissues inside the mouth and nose lose colour
Though you may be aware of the symptoms, you cannot determine how your disease would progress. In some cases, skin patches stop without any treatment. In most cases, it can spread to most of the skin. However, in some people, the skin can restore its colour.
Common Treatments for Vitiligo
The treatment for vitiligo is based on the diagnosis. Though white patches on the skin are easily visible, your doctor may use ultraviolet light on the skin to know if it is vitiligo or other skin conditions.
There is no proper cure for vitiligo. But the treatment focuses on slowing down or preventing the process of skin discolouration.
The following are the most commonly performed treatments for vitiligo:
- Excimer Laser: Excimer laser treatment uses a highly focused beam of ultraviolet light on the areas of discolouration. A handheld excimer device is used to pass ultraviolet light of wavelength 308 nm on the affected skin. The UV light causes re-pigmentation of skin on the affected areas. This procedure is non-invasive and is suitable for people who have small lesions. Along with excimer laser, certain creams such as steroids and calcineurin are used to enhance the treatment results. You need to undergo 2 to 3 sessions in a week for around six months to know if the treatment is further required. As it is painless, you can return back to your work and daily activities after the excimer laser session. The number of sessions you require is based on how your body responds to the treatment.
- Ultrathin Epidermal Graft: Ultrathin skin grafting is one of the popular treatments for vitiligo. During the procedure, a thin layer of skin along with the epidermis is transferred to move melanocytes from the donor site to the affected region. It is effective at treating vitiligo and in most patients, the skin colour of the affected area get restored.
Looking for Best Vitiligo Treatment? Meet Dr Nikhil Reddy or Dr Raghu Ram Reddy at IRA Radiance and Hair Clinic
IRA Radiance and Hair Clinic have the most experienced dermatologist who can treat various skin disorders including vitiligo in Hyderabad. The clinic is handled by Dr Nikhil Reddy and Dr Raghu Ram Reddy for several years and they have helped many patients suffering from vitiligo condition. Prevention is better than cure and hence visit us today to not let vitiligo affect your appearance.